Electrical Issues to Consider When Buying an Older Home.

Electrical Issues to Consider When Buying an Older Home.

Homes built before the 1980s have very different wiring than today. It's not uncommon to find homes with knob and tube wiring, which is no longer installed due to many electrical safety concerns. Older homes also had more significant power surges and brownouts than newer ones did. Older homes were also not built with today's safety regulations in mind; the outdated electrical wiring can pose safety concerns like fire hazards. Please don't rule out an older home simply because it has some electrical problems. There are many ways to modify your home's electrical system, so it's up to code and safe for you and your family. Here are some to consider when considering buying an older home.

Faulty wiring is a significant concern in older homes, but it doesn't have to be a deal-breaker. Older homes can often have knob and tube wiring, which is no longer used. This type of wiring can lead to fires because it doesn't offer proper insulation or protection from electrical surges and brownouts. Many of the issues with older electrical wiring stem from an installation without following today's appropriate safety standards. These outdated wiring systems can cause fires, increased risks of electrical shock, expensive energy bills and potentially damage electronics and appliances.

Many older homes used fuse boxes, but some did use circuit breakers. Still, they don't work well as modern circuit breakers and can sometimes short circuit. Short-circuiting is one reason why electrical breakers may trip. A lot of heat is generated when a breaker short-circuits happens, and there is the risk of an electrical fire. Faulty wiring and loose connections are common reasons why breakers short-circuit, which will wear out your breaker faster. To correct short circuits, you will need to hire a certified electrician.

Older homes have outdated light fixtures. This is usually more of an aesthetic issue, but it does affect your power consumption. Modern fixtures consume less electricity than older ones making them more energy-efficient and can save you money on your monthly energy bill. Installing new light fixtures can be potentially dangerous, so we recommend contacting a professional electrician to do the wiring. 

When buying an older home, outdated light switches are another issue homeowners often run into. Outdated light switches may not have the correct amperage or may not be wired to today's safety standards. These can be a potential fire hazard or even cause electrical shocks. If you notice your light switches are getting very hot or making unusual sounds like crackling, popping or hissing, it may be time to replace them. It doesn't take a licensed electrician long to replace your light switches, and it can significantly reduce the chance of potential electrical safety hazards.

Nowadays, homes are built with a protective ground wire and a neutral wire to protect your home from power surges. But, if your home was not built with these features in mind, you can add them relatively quickly.

One option is to have a licensed electrician install GFCI outlets in your home to reduce the risk of fires or electrical shock. You may also want to consider installing surge protectors or surge suppressors on any devices that don't have these features already included in them. These types of modifications will help prevent electrical hazards and ensure your home's wiring is up to code. You can contact a local electrician to find out more about the best options for your home.

You may need to replace the electrical wiring in your home entirely if it is very outdated or not in order with today's safety standards. Having your home rewired can be expensive, but it will give you the peace of mind of knowing your home is free of electrical hazards and that the wiring is up to code. Our experienced electricians can help you repair or replace faulty wiring in your home, making it safer for you and your family!

When purchasing an older home, there are a few electrical issues you may not have considered. To protect your home and your family, it's essential to know about these electrical issues so you can take the appropriate precautions. If you notice things like lights flickering or dimming, regularly blowing fuses or tripping the circuit breaker, discoloured switches and outlets, a faint burning smell or sparking outlets. It is likely time to repair or replace your wiring by an electrical contractor.

The certified electricians at Bengert Electric can fix electrical issues quickly and efficiently by upgrading your electrical system!  Contact us today, and we will provide an estimate for your electrical repairs!